Friday, September 27, 2013

Gratitude

Gratitude

This morning was a perfect fall morning; after the usual struggle to get up early in the morning, I was able to grab a cup of coffee, sit outside on a bench, and enjoy the beautiful fall weather while doing some Theology reading. It was such a simple way to spend an hour of my morning, enjoying clear, sunny skies, and it gently reminded me of the beauty in life in the nature around me.


This gift led me to reflect on how frequently I ignore or take the beautiful moments each day in my life for granted . It is much too easy to get caught up in my own worries about school or maintaining friendships or the unnecessary list of day-to-day worries. How many of these peaceful moments, like this morning, do I miss?

Something I have learned more with every passing day is the importance of gratitude. Not to be cheesy, but in a VeggieTales episode there was a little song sung that said, "for a thankful heart is a happy heart..." This little song always pops into my head (and no I'm not ashamed of it!). For there is such truth in these words. The more I am able to pause throughout my day and notice the little blessings all around me, and turn my heart to God in gratitude, the happier I am. 

Each one of us, unique as we are, is affected differently by the simple things of life, which can bring us great joy. I really enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning or friendly greetings from people I don't know or those surprising moments in a day that make you burst out in laughter. All of these little, simple moments fill my heart with gratitude and give me the stamina to persevere through the difficult moments in life.

There are no coincidences in life. God allows everything to happen and works through all things, good or bad. If this is the truth, then it also means that all the simple and beautiful things in each day of our lives is a gift from God. Don't be afraid to focus on the good that is in your life; allow the song of your heart to be a song of gratitude and watch the change that takes place. 

'Learn, too, to be grateful.
May all the wealth of Christ's inspiration have its shrine among you; now you will have instruction and advice for one another, full of wisdom, now there will be psalms, and hymns, and spiritual music, as you sing with gratitude in your hearts to God. Whatever you are about, in word and action alike, invoke always the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, offering your thanks to God the Father through him.' 

                                                                                        Colossians 3:16-17


"O my children, how great is Divine Providence! How generous God is to us! How much He loves us! Let us always be grateful and good! Let us love Him and never offend Him! In turn He will always provide for our needs."
                                                                                         Don Bosco

Your sister in Christ,

                 Ali







No comments:

Post a Comment