Monday, September 23, 2013

Frances Says

Frances Says

"Why, dearest daughter, do you waste time in sadness when time is so precious for the salvation of poor sinners?  Get rid of your melancholy immediately.  Don't think any more about yourself.  Do not indulge in so many useless and dangerous reflections.  
 
Look ahead always without ever looking back.  Keep your gaze fixed on the summit of perfection where Christ awaits you.  

He wants you despoiled of all things, intent only on procuring his greater glory during this brief time of your existence.  
For the short time that remains, is it worthwhile to lose yourself in melancholy like those who think only of themselves, as if all were to end with this life?  Ah no.  We must not even desire that our pilgrimage on this earth be a short one because we do not yet know the infinite value of every minute employed for the glory of God.  

Carry your cross then but carry it joyfully, my daughter.  Think that Jesus loves you very much.  And in return for such love, don't lose yourself in so many desires, but accept daily with serenity whatever comes your way.  

May the heart of Jesus bless you and make you holy not as you want but as he desires." 

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini


Whoa.  This is straight up challenging.  Anyone else agree?
St. Frances has found all of my weak spots, and called them out for what they are.  Useless. 

1.      Frances says: not to waste time with melancholy thoughts
How often are my thoughts “woe-is-me”?  Yeah, I need to work on this.  I often run away with my thoughts, and I easily end up frustrated, disappointed, and itching to do something about it. What’s the point of all this thinking though, really? It isn’t fruitful. 
Lord, let me give over my thoughts to You.
I surrender.



2.      Frances says: to look ahead, to the summit of perfection
To the summit of perfection?  It’s hard enough for me to keep myself looking forward and not back.  But okay, Frances, yes, I am made for perfection.  I am made for perfection.  This is real and within my grasp.  Actually, it is specifically what I was made for. 
Lord, lead me to perfection, to the heights.
Verso l’alto.

3.      Frances says: all my time is for the greater glory of God
How often have I wasted time? Ouch.  This must hurt God.  I wouldn’t have my existence if He ceased thinking about me for even a split second.  And here I go, often trucking through my day without recognizing Who it is that I am ultimately trying to reach. 
Lord, show me how to serve you in each moment. 
Less of me, more of You.

4.      Frances says: to joyfully carry my cross
Oh boy.  Always the toughie for last.  She wants me to be joyful while I do all this too?  But is this possible?  “For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2).  I must look to Heaven.  If I keep my eyes fixed on God and eternity with Him, then the means by which I get there is pure joy.
Lord, give me the cross, that I might know this true joy.
Be my strength.

St. Frances is a woman of strength, of reprove, of perfection.  Let us learn from her, sisters!  After all, she has attained the Summit.


And she’s also incorrupt!

St. Frances, pray for us.  Teach us how to be women of God, employed for his greater glory, and joyful climbing to perfection. Amen.


“May the heart of Jesus bless you and make you holy not as you want but as he desires”,

Sierra



No comments:

Post a Comment