Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 39: True Beauty Challenge Results

It is the last few days of Lent and I can honestly say I have begun to seen a great deal of growth in myself.  I have been able to wear less and less mascara each day and it has been such a freeing feeling.  I no longer feel the need to go back to my dorm to “powder my nose” or touch up my eye shadow. 

At the beginning of Lent I was discouraged that I was not ready to go cold turkey on makeup.  So like I do with a lot of my issues I confided in my brother about it. He told me that by wearing less could benefit me just as much or maybe even more because when Lent is over I will not go back to wearing too much makeup but rather I would have learned that I do not need as much to feel beautiful.  And I think he is totally right.  I have been able to realize that less is definitely more. 

This growth I am experiencing has definitely not been easy and it has definitely been a process.  I have been faced with situations where I simply wanted to give up but beautiful things have definitely come from my struggles. 

Over spring break I was so blessed to go on a mission trip in Panama City Beach, Florida.  This city is a huge spring break spot for college students all across the country.  Myself along with 17 other Franciscan students did beach, bar and street ministry.  We went there to love people and let them know that they are worth more and deserve more than the lifestyle they are living.  The whole experience was very eye opening.  The thing that probably sadden me the most though was the absence of true masculinity and true femininity. 

 These college students were preparing for this week for months.  The men were buff, bronzed, bro tanked, and seeking a good time.  And the women were toned, tanned, waxed and seeking love.  As a woman it was hard not to compare myself to the other women on the beach and in the bars.   This made it especially hard to focus on the prize, which was to plant the seed of salvation in every heart we encountered. These beautiful women were given attention while I was frequently served a cup of rejection.  It was tough to talk to a guy who I knew was only half-heartedly listening to me but knowing five minutes prior he was paying full attention to a beautiful woman who was willing to give him more than a good conversation.  At these times of desolation though is when the Lord did beautiful things in me. 

So many times I wanted to give up on not wearing makeup and look like the rest of the women I saw.  I wanted to feel beautiful.  But in these moments I had to realize these thoughts were from Satan and I had to feed myself truth statements that were of God.  Through this I realized that I am not alone and these women have struggles of their very own.  While I was wishing for their looks, they were longing for the joy and peace the Lord gives me, which was so rare to see down on the beaches and in the bars.  The Lord needed me to rid myself of my insecurities so I could love His children fully and when I realized this, my insecurities became obsolete and my mission in life became so much more than looking like the people around me.  This realization gave me the ability to empty and forget myself and give more to the women and also to the men.

Sometimes the Lord needs to give you times of desolation so you can realize you cannot do anything without Him and because of that you are willing to put your trust totally in Him.  During this Lent you probably experienced times of desolation but know that there is great power in our struggles.  Whether you think you changed or not throughout Lent, know that what happened was necessary in order for your individual heart to grow.  Rejoice in your successes but also in your struggles.  Trust that the Lord has His hand in your life and is leading you on the path to Him.


Lay your successes, failures, struggles, and growth of this Lent at the foot of the cross and then rise with the Lord this Sunday!

 
Happy happy Triduum!

 In Him,

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment