Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 37: No Mirrors

Last Friday I went to the stations of the cross on campus. As we were praying the usual prayers, one line stuck out to me more than any of the others. It said,

“I love Thee, my beloved Jesus;
I love Thee more than myself;
I repent with my whole heart of having offended Thee.”

Wow. Well that was like a dagger to my heart. Now on a normal day, I would have thought nothing of this. To say that I loved God more than myself was something I could easily do. I mean, it’s obviously true, right?

WRONG.

I sat there and reflected on all of the ways in which I love myself more than God. It was definitely fresh in my mind because that day I was wallowing in self-pity about how Lent was almost over and I had failed at literally every promise that I had made. I realized that every time I had intentionally looked in the mirror, I was loving myself more than I was loving God. Not because he cared so much that I was looking in the mirror, as there is nothing intrinsically wrong there, but that I was choosing myself over that which I had sacrificed in his honor.

BUT THERE’S HOPE.

Yes, I failed at everything that I had intended for this Lent. But it seems that when we try to make our own plans for anything (but especially Lent), the Lord reminds us that he knows the lessons we need to learn, and we will learn them in His time. For me, it was to recognize that the Lord loves me so much not for what I do or don’t do, but for who I am. He loves me because I am His daughter, and He created me. This past week he has gifted me with one of the most intense encounters I have ever had with His mercy. He has taught me that no matter how many times I fail him, it’s not about me. It’s about Him. And isn’t that our focus for Lent anyway? It is not to focus on ourselves, but to meditate on the fact that he suffered and died out of love for us. His death was a manifestation of the Father’s mercy.

His death proves that love conquers all.


In Him,
Clarissa

No comments:

Post a Comment