Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Temperance a “Special Virtue”



Temperance: the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods; it ensures the will's mastery and keeps desires within the limits of what is honorable. (CCC 1809)
St. Thomas Aquinas called Temperance a “special virtue,” because the practice of moderation is necessary for properly living out all of the other virtues. Temperance is necessary for keeping our concupiscence in check and “controls the yearning for pleasures and delights which most powerfully attract the human heart.”(Newadvent.com) We are naturally attracted to pleasures and delights, these are different for everyone, but with Temperance we can act with reason over our passions.
The Lenten practice that comes to mind when I think about Temperance is fasting. Fasting is a great way to practice Temperance, but only if we keep in mind that Temperance involves moderation. It is easy to go overboard when fasting; we can get over-zealous and fast to an extent that is not prudent and moderate, or we can fast for the wrong reasons.
Fasting should always be done in conjunction with prayer. I recently heard the connection between prayer and fasting explained in this way: fasting detaches us from worldly things and prayer attaches us to God. If I am fasting from sugar in my tea (putting a ton of sugar in my tea is one of my weaknesses) it is not enough to drink my tea plain, I should also offer a prayer with every cup of un-sugared tea that I become less attached to worldly goods and more attached to God. Also, if I decide to fast primarily because I want to loose weight, my intentions are not right, and the fast won’t really be fruitful. The intention of fasting should always be to learn moderation and self-denial, in order that we may grow closer to God.
Something else I recently learned about Fasting is also really important to note. I heard it recommended by a priest that those who have struggled with eating disorders should try fasting from things other than food. The suffering that is connected with an eating disorder is a great sacrifice in itself and fasting from things other than food can be a way of practicing Temperance while continuing the healing process and not presenting a situation in which a relapse can occur. A priest or spiritual director can be a great help for us in choosing Lenten practices that stay within the bounds of moderation.
Here are some other practical ideas for practicing Temperance this week:

-Don't waste time. Give yourself a time limit for being online or watching T.V.
-Avoid "I know I'm going to regret this later" kinds of situations (food, alcohol, hanging out instead of studying, etc.)
-Try making a schedule this week: make sure everything is given the appropriate amount of time (prayer, study, sleep, meals, exercise, relaxation etc.)
-Avoid the temptation to be a perfectionist. Pray that you do only what God wants you to do, no more and no less.


No comments:

Post a Comment