Friday, March 23, 2012

Jesus, Strength of Martyrs...



In the Litany of the Holy Name of Jesus, we pray: “Jesus, strength of Martyrs, have mercy on us.” I was thinking about how all people are called to be martyrs, to be witnesses, and maybe not by physical death, but by death to ourselves. Each and every one of us is called to lay down our lives for those around us.
What does this have to do with fortitude? Marta talked about how being lukewarm is the opposite of practicing fortitude and I was thinking about how easy it is to be lukewarm (at least for me!) in laying down my life for others. So, I thought about some practical ways to lay down my life.
1. I have a paper to write, but once I log onto my computer I go straight to Facebook. To practice fortitude in not giving in to lukewarmness, why don’t we stay off Facebook until the paper is written?
2. I served two bowls of ice-cream, one for my friend and one for me. One happens to be larger than the other, and I want the larger option. But, to lay down my life, I give my friend the bowl with more ice-cream.
3. My friend wants to watch NCIS; I want to watch Tangled. Rather than telling my friend my option, I agree to watch NCIS with her.
4. I know we’re supposed to give to the poor, so I tithe ten percent of my income to the local charity. Why don’t I actually go to a soup kitchen and serve the poor, and practice the ministry of presence?
These are just a couple ways we can practice laying down our lives for one another. If we can practice fortitude in these small matters, we can practice it in large matters. Fortitude is a virtue, so it is a habit, so it is something that is easier to do the more we do it. I encourage you to practice fortitude now; overcome your lukewarnmness, lay down your life in the little ways.
If you are tempted not to lay down your life (which I know I am), here are two suggestions that help me. First of all, follow the advice of Matthew Kelly: don’t base your actions off how you feel before, base them off how you’ll feel after. For example, you may not feel like giving your pink pen to a stranger in need, but think about after you give her the pen, you’ll feel good about helping. And second, remember that fortitude is the Gift of the Holy Spirit; when you’re tempted to lukewarnmness, ask the Holy Spirit for help, and He will come to your aid. Jesus, strength of martyrs…have mercy on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment