Friday, March 9, 2012

Examine Your Fasting!

Dear Ladies,

  As Megan already pointed out, temperance is a special virtue. Unlike other virtues, it primarily focuses on self-examination. In the practice of temperance, we look inward so that we can identify areas in our lives in which we rely on material goods or people instead of God. The ultimate goal of temperance, however, is not simply to mortify our earthly attachments, but to make ourselves more disposed to love and serve God. Remember that fasting itself can also become an idly if it is not done with the proper disposition or attitude.

  Megan and Jenny have already said so much on the subject, so I'm going to encourage you all to examine, in particular, your fasting practices. You should always reflect on your fasting experiences before the Lord, and you should not seek to bar him from your soul until you have worked out all your issues. That is not what temperance is about. Invite Him in to your fasting and allow Him to bless and fortify you through whatever you may choose to do.

   In examining your fasting in prayer, you should consider asking yourselves these questions:
- What has been my attitude toward fasting before and during the fast?
- Have I been idly talking about my fasting practices with others?
- Have I allowed my fasting practices to negatively impact in any way my relationship with God and with others?
- Why did I choose to fast in the particular way I have? Is it effective? Am I being too harsh or too lax with myself?
- Am I making my fast a constant prayer? Or am I simply treating it as a necessary but mindless ritual? Is it changing me?
- Did I seek any kind of advice (ex., priest, spiritual director) before I chose my method of fasting?

I hope you are having a blessed Lent, and may Christ bless you and keep you as you persevere! Remember that it's all for Him!
-Marta

No comments:

Post a Comment