Friday, September 14, 2012

A Pierced Heart is Always Open

Recently, I have learned that it is so much easier to feel anger than to feel hurt. And that when we are truly hurt, that is what we do… we turn it into anger. Anger towards the person, anger towards the situation, anger towards ourselves.

But I do not want to be angry, not for the hurt I am experiencing now, nor for the hurt I have felt in the past.  I look at my life right now and I am beginning to learn how deep my woundedness really is. I see how high the walls are that I have built up around my heart in an attempt to protect myself; walls that I built out of the pain and the fear of being rejected. Walls that I built out of lies. Walls that I built with anger. But I don’t want to do that anymore.

So instead, I have decided to just let myself hurt. To not be angry or bitter towards what has happened, but to just feel hurt. And you know what… it hurts! But it is real, and in a funny way there is a deep peace in it. A peace that comes in recognizing and accepting truth. But it is very hard, because I want to give into those satisfying feelings of resentment. I want to go back to building up those walls to protect myself.  I don’t want to feel so vulnerable, so exposed.  


Yet in it I have realized something so important…that a pierced heart is always open. That we have a choice to turn our hurt into something beautiful. That when we allow ourselves to be broken, we allow love to pour out. Love that heals not only ourselves but those around us.  And if we let Him, the Lord will cradle our broken hearts next to His, and we will bleed the same.


Cheers to the brokenhearted.
-Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment