Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mary- the Best of Mothers


I stated in the introduction to the blog series that St. Faustina’s Diary pushed me into the arms of Christ. While I was gaining a better understanding of Christ’s relationship with me, I was also awestruck by how incredible His Mother is (again).

I don’t think there are adequate words to describe how amazing she is. “Amazing” just seems blah when talking about her, but so do “remarkable,” “wonderful,” and “marvelous.” No wonder she has so many titles.

It should not surprise you that St. Faustina was visited by Our Lady multiple times, and of course the saint wrote down everything Our Blessed Mother said to her. Which is fantastic for us because we get to read it and be reminded of how incredible she is and how blessed we are to have her as a mother.
Here are some of St. Faustina’s encounters with Our Lady.

(25) “Mary, my Mother, do you know how terribly I suffer?” And the Mother of God answered me, “I know how much you suffer, but do not be afraid. I share with you your suffering, and I shall always do so.” She smiled warmly and disappeared.

(330) “I am not only the Queen of Heaven, but also the Mother of Mercy and your Mother.”

(449) “I am Mother to you all, thanks to the unfathomable mercy of God. Most pleasing to Me is the soul which faithfully carries out the will of God…Be courageous. Do not fear apparent obstacles, but fix your gaze upon the Passion of My Son, and in this way you will be victorious.”

(608) The most Holy Mother said to me, “Take my Dearest Treasure.” And She handed me the Infant Jesus.

(786) As I continued Vespers, meditating on this mixture of suffering and grace, I heard the voice of Our Lady, “Know, My daughter, that although I was raised to the dignity of Mother of God, seven swords of pain pierced My heart. Don’t do anything to defend yourself; bear everything with humility; God Himself will defend you.”

(1414) Smiling at me She said to me, “My daughter, at God’s command I am to be, in a special and exclusive way your Mother; but I desire that you, too, in a special way, be My child.”

(1415) “I desire, My dearly beloved daughter, that you practice the three virtues that are dearest to Me – and most pleasing to God. The first is humility, humility, and once again humility; the second virtue, purity; the third virtue, love of God. As My daughter, you must especially radiate with these virtues.”

(686) In the evening, I saw the Mother of God, with Her breast bared and pierced with a sword. She was shedding bitter tears and shielding us against God’s terrible punishment. God wants to inflict terrible punishment on us, but He cannot because the Mother of God is shielding us. Horrible fear seized my soul. I kept praying incessantly for Poland…If it were not for the Mother of God, all our efforts would be of little use.

We must never forget the fierce motherly love Our Lady has for each of us. She comes to each of us individually as our Mother with a message of pure and true love. She is not confined to a small corner of heaven, kept out of sight now that her earthly mission is “done.” Mary is a busy Queen, she is actively interceding in our lives. Her motherly heart did not cease to beat at the crucifixion, rather, as Pope Francis says in his homily on Jan. 1, 2013, “Her sorrowing heart was enlarged to make room for all men and women, all, whether good or bad, and she loves them as she loved Jesus.”

When we see Our Lady’s strength, gentleness, persistence, and love, how can we not run to her? As Pope Francis says toward the end of his homily, “To her let us entrust our journey of faith, the desires of our heart, our needs and the needs of the whole world, especially of those who hunger and thirst for justice and peace, and for God.”

And so I leave you with this prayer from the Diary,
(161) O Mary, Immaculate Virgin,
Pure crystal for my heart,
You are my strength, O secure anchor,
You are a shield and protection for a weak heart.
O Mary, you are pure and unparalleled,
Virgin and Mother at one and the same time;
You’re beautiful as the sun, by nothing defiled,
Nothing is worthy of comparison to the image of Your soul.


Your beauty enthralled the Thrice-Holy One’s eye,
That He came down from heaven, forsaking th’eternal See’s throne,
And assumed from Your Heart Body and Blood,
Hiding for nine months in the Virgin’s Heart.


O Mother, Virgin, this will no one comprehend,
That the infinite God is becoming a man;
It’s only love’s and His inscrutable mercy’s purpose.
Through You, Mother- it’s given us to live with Him forever.


O Mary, Virgin Mother and Heaven’s Gate,
Through You salvation came to us;
Every grace to us streams forth through Your hands,
And faithful imitation of You only will sanctify me.


O Mother, Virgin – most beautiful Lily.
Your Heart was for Jesus the first tabernacle on earth,
And that, because Your humility was the deepest,
Wherefore You were raised above Angel choirs and Saints.
O Mary, my sweet Mother,
To You I turn over my soul, my body and my poor heart.
Be the safeguard of my life,
Especially at death’s hour, in the final fight.         

No comments:

Post a Comment