Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Emma Watson and Modesty...What Happened?

Hermione Granger is the kind of friend I want to have.



That girl would go to the ends of the earth for her friends … and she did. She’s brilliant, fun and witty while dealing with bushy hair and oversized teeth. I can’t help but admire her. Plus, as a mud-blood she mastered time-turning, obliviation, polyjuice potion, the Protean Charm, apparating, a Patronus, wingardium leviosa, and lots of other impressive words I can’t pronounce.
Hands down, she rocks. It’s even cooler when the “real–life” person who plays a character is worthy of mention as well.

Emma Watson, the actress who plays Hermione, has always interested me. She’s absolutely charming – and she looks gorgeous with or without hair. So when I saw a quote from her about modesty I instantly wanted to read it. Here’s what she said in an interview back in 2009:
“I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me – dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder.”
Wow. Rings true with what I wrote about last year in a blog about modesty, doesn’t it?
So … um … Emma, what happened? What changed? Why didn’t you stick to what you believed so passionately a couple years ago?

Have you seen any of Emma’s recent photos from the red carpet or modeling shoots? Let’s just say the world isn’t “wondering” anymore. My guess is that Emma may have changed her opinion about being sexy to conform to what the rest of Hollywood says.

But losing your modesty doesn’t happen over night. It happens kind of easily, doesn’t it? To let our standards down little by little. One day we can decide to wear something that’s a little too tight. Then … well … what’s the big deal if I pull this top a little lower? Or buy a skirt a little shorter than usual. Pretty soon those little decisions pile up and what we once believed whole-heartedly has been forgotten like a boy-band you loved in grade school.

We have to be vigilant. We have to be on guard to not let the world sway what we know is true. Don’t let the crowd tell you that skin = sexy, and that’s the only way to be beautiful. Emma was right about what she said. It’s too bad she couldn’t stick to it for longer.
You and I can’t turn the time back and live our day over twice like Hermione did. But we can stand our ground and make the right decisions the first time around, whether that’s about modesty, dignity or if we want to chop all our hair off. It’s up to you.

I’m praying for you.

(this article was taken from Lifeteen.com )

And I am praying for you too.
Peace to your beautiful hearts,
Sr. Elizabeth, TOR

2 comments:

  1. What happened? What happens to every one of us - one or many of our moral weaknesses gets the better of us. Keep up your prayers.

    ReplyDelete